Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Perfect Stripe

Our house is wired for sound.  There are really ugly speakers built in to the walls and ceiling of most rooms in the house. 


I could probably put up with the ugliness if they worked, but unfortunately the previous owners took the actual speakers with them.  Eventually we'll probably put speakers back in, but until then we have ugly, useless speakers that I'm already sick of looking at.


I plan on putting up some art to cover them, but they're really high on the wall.  I thought the pictures would look weird being so close to the ceiling, so I decided to paint a stripe below them to offset the art.

We have a laser level, but I couldn't figure out how to make the laser line horizontal.  I asked Handy, and he wasn't sure either.  Turns out it'd never been used.  Instead of trying to figure it out, he offered to just hold a really long level to the wall while I drew a pencil line.


Next I taped along the lines with Frog Tape


I'd heard amazing things about Frog Tape, but this was my first experience with it.  All kinds of bloggy people have used it with great results, but I wasn't sure if anyone had the ridiculous amount of texture on their walls like we have.  I didn't want to have to come back through with a tiny paint brush cleaning up the edges so I decided to paint a coat of the wall paint along the edge of the tape to ensure a crisp line.


After the wall paint had dried completely, I gave the band between the tape lines two coats of blue paint.  Then, while the second coat was still wet, I carefully removed the tape.  To my amazement, the line was perfect.  No touch ups needed at all.


Isn't it lovely?  Of course, I still have those speakers to cover up:


But I'll get that done soon.  

 I'm linking up to:

Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingThirty Hand Made DaysUndertheTableandDreamingBWS tips button
The Girl CreativeMakingTip Junkie handmade projects

6 comments:

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Thanks for the great tip. Going to remember that next time I paint.

HoneySage said...

The stripe looks great and it does draw the eye away from the speaker plates. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Great tip! I've been hearing about frog tape too. I really like the stripe! I'm your newest follower.
Have a great day!
Tammy

Pamela said...

Never used the tape but it sounds fun. Love the stripe. Creative.

New GFC follower from Skip the Housework.

Anonymous said...

Paint the speaker holes to match the walls & they might recede a bit.

Lauren @ 31diy said...

What a great way to hide those speaker holes! :) And the stripe does indeed balance out the pictures being placed high on the wall. We have a hole in the carpet for the gas fireplace (weird, I know) - have any ideas there? Unfortunately, it's in an awkward place and no furniture can be reasonably placed over it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...